Are you interested in working for a company where you can make a huge impact? One that has a future that doesn’t include playing political games in order to move up the career ladder. Abbott has a great combination of resources and size that gives us the tools to compete, the flexibility to change, and the growth that will create a momentum for your growth.
At Abbott our focus is on making sure our Customers have an exceptional experience from the start of their project, to well beyond it’s completion (With 80% of our work coming from repeat clients, that is critical in all that we do). It also creates an environment in which doing the right thing for your client is the focus, not just making money and moving on. We have long term relationships and loyalty to our customers and they too us. Abbott is truely a company you can be proud to work for.
We are currently looking for an Estimator to help support our growth.
The Estimator role:
The estimator is primarily responsible for monitoring and controlling all estimating related activities. The estimator will work in coordination with both the Group Leaders and Project Managers to provide accurate, consistent estimates for our customers.
Estimator duties and performance measurements:
- To provide accurate, organized, timely quantity take offs for both lump sum projects and budget estimates.
- Help identify cost saving techniques, materials and procedures where necessary. Work with Group Leader, Project Manager and Subs to determine what systems/products will provide the best value.
- Assist in managing the bidding process including document control, solicitation of subcontractor bids and plan center interface.
- Assist in conceptual estimating by developing scopes and budgets that will provide the Project Managers with clear, comprehensive information suitable for review by the customer.
- Coordinate production of additional documents as needed for bidding or budgeting process.
- Assist in the nomination and election of subcontractor’s for design build subcontractor budget estimates.
- Update and manage subcontractor database when necessary.
- Perform cost comparison and analysis as requested.
- Consistently update cost information in database and procure cost information resources (i.e. reference books).
- Monitor and update computer aided estimating software system.
- Review with Group Leader/Project Manager the requests for bids; determine proper bidding procedures and the required emphasis for each project.
- Conduct post job construction meetings and cost analysis to verify and expand upon cost information from field.
- Maintain relationships with quality, reliable subcontractors, vendors, and suppliers as requested by the Group Leaders and/or Project Managers.
- Provide quantity takeoffs of any changes on the drawings between the permit set and the construction set.
- Review all specifications, soils report etc. to verify that all requirements of bid/budget are met.
- Work in a team environment to provide estimating assistance in whatever capacity to meet the needs of our customers.
- Provide closeout for lump sum bid projects with all information organized into a comprehensive bid summary binder.
- Work with other Project Managers in the company to help them succeed in all estimating on their projects. This is about Team work. This expectation is intended to foster cooperation throughout the company in all ways.
- Set-up and manage a functional Bid room.
- Communicate estimating efforts and potential work to President, Vice President and Group Leaders.
This list is not all-inclusive as to the “daily” tasks performed by an Estimator.
Support required of the Company by the Estimator so that he/she can fulfill the Estimator position:
- Direction from the Group Leaders on budgets or bidding projects.
- Cooperation from other Project Managers on workload.
- An enjoyable and challenging work environment.
- Appropriate compensation package from management.
- Supportive Team environment.
- Appropriate computer related estimating equipment and training.
- Excellent support and service from administrative staff.
Attributes/Qualifications of an Estimator:
- Essential character attributes must include: goal-driven, customer-focused, highly organized and efficient, detail oriented and accurate with numbers and estimates, self sufficient, dependable, self motivated, able to work flexible schedule as required, able to multi-task in fast paced environment, patience, honesty & integrity, willingness to learn, ability to follow company procedures.
- 2 to 10 years experience estimating a wide range of construction projects.
- Bachelors Degree
- Experience estimating full project including all trades.