Ok, you’ve made the decision to remodel your kitchen or bathroom, but you don’t know where to begin! It may seem like the list of things to do is endless.
Dont worry, just follow the steps below and take our advice. You’ll be on your way in no time!
1. Decide What You Want
- What is the main purpose of remodeling your room? To add extra space, upgrade the kitchen/bathroom, improve security, make changes for health reasons or just to improve your living space.
- What are your options? Is there room to expand into the back/front yard or is there enough room to redesign using the existing floor space?
- What are your priorities? Figure out what you what to change the most and what can you keep or just update.
- Get input from all members of your household. Find out their needs and wants.
- Consider short-term and long-term implications of your renovation decisions. Will you have more/any children, how long do you plan to live in this house, will your choices increase/decrease the house’s resale value?
2. Collect Ideas and Information
- Read magazines and books to get an idea of the look you want.
- Make a clip book of all the pictures and ideas that represent your taste and style.
- Watch related television shows and record episodes you particularly like.
- Visit home shows and manufacturer/supplier showrooms.
- Talk to relatives, friends and co-workers that have renovated. What have they learned, what would they recommend?
3. Determine Your Budget
- Break down your priorities and figure out what you are willing to spend the most money on.
- What’s the total amount you are willing to spend?
- How much can/are you willing to borrow?
4. Find a Qualified Professional
- Find a list of more than 36,000 qualified professionals in the Consumer Workbook section under Find an NKBA Professional.
- Enter a zip code and a list of kitchen and bath designers will appear. It’s that easy!
Courtesy of NKBA Content